Canon EOS 3







The Canon EOS 3 has always been my favorite looking automatic film SLR, apart from possibly the Nikon F4, or Minolta Maxxum 9, or maybe th-, well, let me stop there. Truth be told, I don't find many of the automatic film slr's to be that terribly interesting because they essentially look like their digital counterparts. And the EOS 3 looks exactly like a dslr, in every way, minus a LCD screen on the back. But that being so, there is just something about it that draws my attention. The Canon 1n (which was first in line with the EOS 3 marketed right below it) is alright, but it has the ultra curvy Canon slr look which I've never cared for. I say curvy but actually the prism looks like an elephant's head (seriously, do a comparison). The EOS 3 slightly detracts from this look. It's still an elephant, but it's a bull elephant, with big tusks. I like it, a lot.

***By automatic slr I am referring to auto focus and automatic film advancing cameras***



The first thing you will notice when you pick up an EOS 3 is that this is a serious camera. It's quite large, dwarfing my 20D and making the camera it replaced, the A2, look like a child's toy. This camera is in a completely different league than the A2 it replaced. First of all, the body is totally solid, no plastic creakage like you get with the A2. The camera is weather sealed, apparently slightly better than the 1n and not as well as the 1v, the superman of Canon's film slr's. In other words, this is pro camera, not a step down from the 1n, more like an improved version. The first time I picked this camera up, I knew it was going to be my go to automatic slr, it just fits perfectly into my hand.

Here are some test shots taken with a Canon 28mm-105mm f3.5-4.5 Macro USM lens and cheap Fujicolor 200 film.

For cheap color film, I was pleased with the results. I have found the metering to be very precise and easy to change between modes, bringing me to the next topic, the "mess" of buttons on the left side of the camera. I always saw this on the pro level Canon's and always thought it look liked a confusing mess. But after about 2 minutes with the camera, I loved it. Having to press a button, or a combination, and then actually switching modes prevents from accidentally moving a knob to the wrong mode. On top of that advantage, I simply find it a refreshing change from a conventional knob and it makes the camera have a cleaner appearance. The viewfinder isn't full coverage, 97% if I remember. It is bright enough, nothing mind blowing. There are framing brackets which I find very useful for composing. The 45 auto focus points are a moot point for me, since I like to just use the center point, lock my focus, and compose. I know, I'm weird but that's what I do.

Now, the centerpiece of this camera is eye controlled auto focus system. Ken Rockwell claims this is a "mind controlled" auto focusing system. While I do find it works, it's not perfect. My main problem is that I wear contacts and that interferes with the system. Now does that make it a completely useless feature? Not necessarily, but if I need precise auto focus and I have a specific subject, then it stays off. However, If I had the camera on a tripod and didn't feel like making an adjustment to the tripod to focus, then this feature is wonderful. My main issue is that the camera picks the focus point about 1 or 2 points away from the point I'm actually looking at. For 45 auto focus points, that's not much of a margin of error, however most photographers want focusing to be precise, not ball parking. For most users, I would just turn it off, the "O" next to the viewfinder turns it off, but I could see where it would be a useful feature, especially for tripod work.

I don't have much else to say about this camera. If you are used to a dslr, this camera will be very familiar to you. The best part is that any of the Canon EF lenses you have for your dslr will work perfectly with this camera. It takes a CR5 battery which is easy to find, although it can be expensive. I bought a lithium battery for $10, and I'm sure I will get a few years out of the battery with moderate use. I got mine for a steal ($100) but expect to pay between $150 for average to good condition to around $200 for pristine bodies. Personally with a camera like this, I would go for one that isn't perfect, that way you'll be more inclined to actually use it outside of a home or studio. I'm not a fan of shelf queen cameras. In the end, cameras are tools and the picture is the most important part.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minolta XE-1

Leave the Big Gear at Home

Retired Nikons: Can They Still Hang Around With The Fresh Crop? (Video Included)