Rags to Riches: Preview


Someday, every camera meets the end of it's life. Whether that's being dropped off a cliff in heroic fashion or being left in a dark closet for 30 years, rotting away, every camera will eventually hit the bone yard. But every now and then, a camera is brought from the dead to be given a second chance at life. I'm giving a sneak preview of a camera I brought back from the dead. It was purchased off of a popular online auction site as for parts or repair  for a relatively small amount of money. The seller said the camera was untested and for parts, and the lens was damaged and scratched.

When the camera arrived, the seller had wrapped it via Russian nesting doll style with countless USPS bubble wrap sheets. Oh well, it was safe. When after I reached the end of the hunt for my camera and lens, I looked at the lens first to delay any disappointment for the actual camera. The lens was filthy and had two big dents in the filter threads and was a little loose but other than that seemed fine. I cleaned the outside elements and tightened some screws on the back of the lens and it looks surprisingly nice with some very clean elements! Next, the camera. When I unwrapped it, I was relieved it didn't look quite as bad as the picture online, but was still far from pretty. Now, far from pretty with a Minolta SRT 101, or a Nikon F just means it might have a dis functioning meter but a completely operable camera. However, this particular camera is almost fully electric, from the 1970s. To say in the least, I was not in the highest of hopes.

The first crank of the advance lever seemed promising and then the mirror came up and down along with the noise of shutter curtains moving when I fired it, perfect! But after that it wouldn't do anything, dead in the water, damn. So after a few minutes contemplating how it would look next to my also dead Minolta XE-7, I decided some more work might get it going. Sure enough, after some simple dissasembly (trust me, I don't bother with tedious repairs anymore) and I was somewhat able to get the camera to work! The meter worked as did the shutter speeds! After some fresh batteries, a trip to the store for some gun cleaner/lubricant, I gave the camera an extreme bath (not literally) and put some of the lubricant in a few key locations. This helped, but the film advance lever is still a little finicky but everything now works on this once presumably dead camera. Needless to say I am very pleased and will be testing it out this week. Hopefully the lubricant will work its way down into the depths of the camera and help free up my film advance mechanism, and then I will have a perfect camera! Until next time, see if you can guess what the camera is.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Minolta XE-1

Leave the Big Gear at Home

Retired Nikons: Can They Still Hang Around With The Fresh Crop? (Video Included)