My first Minolta: The X-700

My first camera was a Canon AE-1. Why did I buy an AE-1? Well, mostly because I had no clue about cameras when I bought it and knew that Canon and Nikon were the main camera brands. So I bought a Canon. Well after a brief foray into the digital slr world, I decided I wanted to get back into film cameras, for many reasons which I will talk about in other posts. So, what to buy? I had tried Canon now for two cameras, and I was still wanting for more, so I bought a Nikon of course. A Nikon F2 to be exact, an absolute hulk of a camera. Not hulk, this is the AK-47's of cameras. I really haven't come across something that is as well made as this camera is. I thought I was set for a 35mm SLR. But after I developed my first roll of Tri-X 400, I was slightly disappointed with the 50mm F2 non AI lens, and the 40 year old meter. The search continues....

I had been eyeing this X-700 at the local antique store for some time, but never liked how plastic and shiny it was. Not to mention there was premium price set on it, a price usually reserved for very well maintained X-700, not this dusty, grimy, seemingly dead Minolta on an antique store shelf. Eventually I caved in, I had heard so many good reviews about this camera. After the lady who runs the store told me it was her camera and it she had used it somewhat recently (5-6 years ago), I shelled out the asking price and crossed my fingers. This camera came onto the scene in 1981 with 1981 electronics and I was trusting these would still work. Two LR44 batteries in the battery compartment and it fired up! I mounted my 50mm f1.4 Minolta MD that I had picked up at a thrift store in my hometown and was ready to go. The camera cleaned up wonderfully and the lens was already in pristine condition. I have put two rolls of TMax 100 through it now and I have gotten some excellent results: 







The meter in this camera is simply stellar. It nails perfect exposures almost every time. The F1.4 lens is absolutely beautiful and by far my favorite 50mm I have used. I recently picked up a 135mm f3.5 Rokkor that is also wonderful, just not the low light monster that the 50 is. Most Minolta lenses can be had at very reasonable prices, although the more exotic apertures and focal lengths (f1.2, 85mm) can be even more expensive than the Canon's and Nikon's. Although the build quality isn't that of the F2's, it's still a very solid body and as I understand a metal frame underneath. The plastic on the camera is tough and isn't as cheap as it may seam at first, this is a quality camera. 





The film advance is quick and easy. The viewfinder is huge and very bright with easy to read LED's to let you know your shutter speed. I used the camera mostly in Aperture Priority mode, occasionally in manual mode. There is also a Program mode that can be used with MD lenses. Simply move the aperture ring to the highest number (lowest f stop) and flip a little switch on the lens so there is a green bar showing. Move the dial to P mode and just focus, the camera will do everything else for you. It works well too, just be aware it doesn't show you what aperture is being used so that is why I prefer to use Aperture Priority. I love the touch sensitive shutter release. Why camera makers don't still do this I will never know. After the camera is turned on, it will automatically turn off after 15 seconds. You simply touch (not push) the shutter button and it lights up and gives you your meter reading. Pure brilliance,  and also why I have started to make Minolta my main SLR system, the innovation they had was just wonderful. The exposure lock button is also the self timer (push down for exposure lock and up to engage the 10 second timer with a flashing light). There is a depth of field preview, along with exposure compensation, which I use often with black and white film. 



While this won't be my workhorse camera, it is my camera of choice when I want something small, light, and  excellent meter readings. Make sure you buy one that has been taken care of, as this is a fully electronic camera and absolutely nothing works without the LR44 batteries. These were made up until 2001 since they were such a popular camera so they are easy to find. The earlier ones are made in Japan and the later ones in China, but I have not heard any differences in quality. Remember, the newer the camera, the more reliable, unless of course the old one has been serviced and taken care of.

Comments

  1. I apologize for the weird text and switching to black, Blogger absolutely will not let me change it for some reason.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Minolta XE-1

Leave the Big Gear at Home

Retired Nikons: Can They Still Hang Around With The Fresh Crop? (Video Included)